The Nine Temples of Tabo Monastery
The Temple of Enlightened Gods (Tug-Lha-khang) : This is the Assembly hall or du-khang of the monastery complex, which houses the four fold figure of Vairocana as its major attraction. In Vajrayana Buddhism Vairocana is regarded as one of the five spiritual sons of the Adibuddha, who was the self created primordial Buddha. He is represented here in a sitting posture spinning the 'wheel of law'. Than there are life size stucco images of what are commonly regarded as Vajradhatu Mandala that are placed on the brackets along the walls. One can even see the beautiful paintings depicting the various phrases of the life of Lord Buddha. These paintings are the creation of a artists who came to this place from Kashmir. There is also a sanctum just behind the assembly hall and house five Bodhisattvas of Good Age.
The Mystic Mandala Temple (dKyil-kHor- khang) : The Mystic Mandala Temple is adorned with the massive painting of Vairocana who is surrounded by the eight Bodhisattvas. The other areas or parts of the temple are adorned by the Mystic Mandalas. The temple holds the distinction for being the same place where monkhood was initiated.
The Bodhisattva Maitreya Temple (Byams-Pa Chen-po Lha-khang) : This temple is sequestered into a hall, vestibule and sanctum. The temple is embellished with the six feet high image of Bodhisattva Maitreya. The array of murals are an added attraction, specially the ones depicting the monastery of Tashi-Chunpo and Lhasa's Potala palace.
The Temple of Dromton (Brom-ston Lha khang) : The Temple of Dromton is built on the northern edge of the complex, that has been founded by the Dromton (1008-1064 AD), an ardent disciple of Atisha. The doorway and the interiors covered by the beautiful murals are simply marvelous.
The Chamber of Picture Treasures (Z'al-ma) : The Chamber of Picture Treasures is attached to the Enlightened Temple of God that houses the murals o Buddha, his disciples and protective deities in the pure Tibetan style.
The Large Temple of Dromton (Brom-ston Lha khang) : Covering the total area of 70 sq km, this is the second largest temple of the monastery. Than there is an additional area of 42 q km occupied by the portico and niche. Its front wall is adorned with the image of Sakymuni with Sariputra and Maha Maugdalayana on his side. The other walls depict the eight Medicine Buddhas and Guardian Kings.
The White Temple (Kar-abyum Lha-Khang) : The walls of this shrine are also intricately adorned leaving a low dado for the monks and nuns to lean against